Going into Lawrence, I had no idea what to expect. It was my first mission trip, but it was also a very new experience for the whole team considering that this was the first time North Boston went to Lawrence. I tried to calm myself down, trying to forget about it until it came. I told myself that it would be just like a regular overnight trip. However, it was much more strenuous than that, bringing forth challenges and uncomfortable situations that I had heard were much worse than Philly missions.

The biggest inconvenience was the heat. The second we stepped outside, the heat started beating down on us, but even this wasn’t the worst of it. Later in the week, the weather announced an upcoming heat wave to just make our lives harder. Soon, the day got better though, when we started the VBS for the first day. All of the anxiety and stress quickly washed away, and I was truly happy to get to know the kids and all of their vibrant personalities. However, through all of the happiness that they expressed during the activities, there was always the poverty of Lawrence. It was always so easy to forget about it, but when I did remember how hard life was in this town, it was such a blessing to see how we were serving God. I actually felt like I was contributing to the kids by giving them a fun time and showing the love of God. For example, in one instance, a boy told me how he had to walk to the church because their car was stolen then and there. I just tried to smile to hide my shock, and this motivated me to really try to entertain the kids, to let them have fun while we were there. Again, by the end of the trip, one boy named Cesar was one of the last to be picked up to go home. He sat on the steps by himself looking into the distance, and when I tried to cheer him up he could only ignore me. Right when the VBS ended he was once again into this restricted state, making me wonder what kind of hardships he was experiencing. I could do nothing, but I was thankful that I was able to give him a week of fun and joy.

Other than the VBS, it also a great experience being led by Pastor Gabriella throughout Lawrence. One day she led us to a homeless shelter nearby where we took a tour to see what it was like. It was a small sized building that somehow managed to fit 50 bunk beds and a manageable amount of living space. I was so surprised by the fact that there were even homeless shelters just outside of Andover. Literally, 10 minutes from church or even a couple of feet away from a shoe store I go to in Lawrence, the poverty level shoots up. I have always seen homeless on the streets of big cities like Boston and Toronto, but I never expected there to actually be a significant amount in a small town like this. It made me more aware of how broken the world really is and how I should acknowledge how to be grateful of my own situation.

Lastly, I would like to touch upon how the environment in general changed my view. Although the church was musty and the heat was almost unbearable, I found that this bonded the team together even more. I remember spending time around the fans just to keep cool, bonding over our uncomfortable situation. But when it was the last day, and the iPhones were returned, I saw an instant change in the level of conversation and activity within the team. It was almost if technology had ruined the great atmosphere the tough week had built up. This made me realize how a bare and simple life could even lead to a happier and communal-based life. In addition, the lack of comfort also made me much more grateful of what we have, A/C, beds, a home. But even more than that, I realized how much more important relationships are, with the people around us as well as with God. All of the happiness I experienced in the week did not come from material things, but from the intimacy of the team and the chance to make the kids happy. This mission trip really changed my outlook and I also hope it changed the children’s.

-Justin Hong

로렌스를 향하면서도, 저는 무엇을 기대해야 할지 잘 몰랐습니다. 저에게는 이번이 첫번째 가는 선교여행이었지만, 우리교회에서 Lawrence로 선교를 가는 것 역시 처음이라 팀 전체에게도 낯선 경험인 것은 마찬가지였습니다. 저는 애써 제 마음을 진정시키며 잠시라도 잊으려고 했습니다. 그저 밖에서 하룻밤 자고 오는 경험과 크게 다르지 않을 것이라고 제 자신에게 말했습니다. 그러나 선교여행은 제 생각보다 훨씬 더 고생스러웠고, 오히려 제가 필라델피아 선교에 대해 들었던 것보다 훨씬 더 불편함과 힘든 도전이 기다리고 있었습니다.

가장 불편하였던 것은 더위였습니다. 우리가 밖으로 발을 내딛는 순간, 불볕더위가 머리위로 내리쬐었지만, 사실 그것은 최악이 아니었습니다. 주말 즈음에 폭염주의보가 내렸을 때는 분명 상황이 더 심각할 것이었습니다. 그러나 곧 첫째날 성경학교가 시작되고 이상하게도 모든 것이 괜찮아 지는 것을 느꼈습니다. 걱정과 스트레스들이 순식간에 사라졌고, 밝고 열정적인 아이들 한 사람 한 사람을 알아가는 시간이 진실로 기뻤습니다. 그러나 모든 활동시간 동안 그들이 표현하는 행복 뒤에는 항상 그 지역, 로렌스의 가난과 빈곤이 있었습니다. 너무 쉽게 잊어버리곤 하지만, 이 도시에서 가난하게 사는 이들의 삶을 기억할 때, 우리가 하나님을 섬긴다는 것이 얼마나 축복인지를 깨달을 수 있었습니다. 저는 실제로 제가 아이들과 즐거운 시간을 함께 보내면서 그것이 하나님의 사랑을 보여주는 것임을 느꼈습니다. 한번은 한 아이가 차를 도난당하여 자신이 교회까지 걸어왔다고 말하는 것을 듣고 큰 충격을 받았으나, 오히려 그것이 제가 그 아이들과 있는 시간만큼은 그들에게 기쁨을 줘야겠다는 생각을 하도록 동기부여를 해 주었습니다. 또 선교여행의 거의 마지막 때, Cesar라고 하는 아이가 있었는데, 그 아이는 집에 갈 차례를 기다리며 거의 마지막까지 남아있었습니다. 그 아이는 계단에 앉아 거리를 둔 채로 저를 바라보았지만, 제가 힘내라고 응원하는 것을 유일하게 모른척하는 아이였습니다. VBS가 끝났을 때에도, 그 아이가 좀처럼 마음을 열지 않는 것을 보고, 그 아이가 얼마나 힘들게 살았길래 하는 생각이 들었습니다. 제가 그 아이를 위해 할 수 있는 것은 아무것도 없었지만,  단지 일주일이라도 그 아이와 함께 하며 기쁨과 웃음을 줄 수 있었던 것이 감사하였습니다.

VBS를 둘째치고서라도, 로렌스에서 사역하고 계시는Gabriella목사님과 함께 하는 경험은 매우 의미있었습니다. 어느날, 목사님은 근처 노숙자 보호소로 우리를 데리고 가셔서 그곳이 어떤 곳인지 보여주셨습니다. 50여개의 침대와 약간의 생활 공간이 들어갈 사이즈의 작은 건물이었습니다. 저는 그곳이 앤도버 지역에서 너무 가까운 곳에 있다는 사실에 놀랐습니다. 교회에서 불과 10분이면 가는 거리에, 또 제가 가는 로렌스의 어느 신발 상점에서 얼마 떨어지지 않은 곳에 빈곤의 수준이 심각했습니다. 저는 보스톤과 같은 큰 도시에서나 노숙자들을 보았었기에 이렇게 작은 도시에 이만큼 많은 노숙자들이 있으리라고 상상하지 못했었습니다. 여기서 저는 이 세상이 얼마나 깨지고 상처가 많은지 깨닫게 되었고, 반면 제가 처한 상황에서 얼마나 감사해야 하는지를 인지하게 되었습니다.

마지막으로 저는 그 환경이 어떻게 내 시각을 변화시켜주었는지 언급하고 싶습니다. 오래된 곰팡이 냄새와 함께 폭염속에 그 교회에 있는 것은 거의 참을 수 없었지만, 이것이 오히려 우리 팀을 더 결속시켰습니다. 저는 우리의 불편한 상황을 따라다니는 더위를 식히려고 줄곧 선풍기 주변에서 시간을 보내곤 하였던 것을 기억합니다. 그러나, 마지막 날에 제 셀폰을 돌려받았을때 팀원들과의 활동과 소통이 또 다른 차원으로 급변하는 것을 보았습니다. 그것은 마치 우리가 힘든 한주를 보내며 서로간에 쌓아간 위대한 무언가를 기술이란 것이 한 순간에 앗아간 느낌이었습니다. 이것을 통하여 저는 어쩌면 꾸밈없고 단순한 생활이 오히려 함께 살아가는 삶에 행복을 가져다 줄 수 있다는 것을 깨닫게 되었습니다. 또한 안락하지 못한 상황 역시 오히려 제가 가지고 있는 것들-에어컨, 침대, 집 등-에 대해 더 많이 감사할 수 있도록 해주었습니다. 그리고 그 무엇보다도 하나님과 맺어가는 관계 뿐만 아니라 우리 주변과 맺어가는 관계라는 것이 얼마나 중요한지 더 깊이 깨닫게 되었습니다. 일주일동안 제가 경험한 모든 행복은 물질적인 것으로부터 오는 것이 아닌, 팀원들과의 친밀함과 아이들에게 기쁨을 줄 수 있는 기회를 가졌다는 것으로부터였음을 고백합니다. 이번 여행을 통해 세상을 보는 제 시야는 변화되었습니다. 그리고 제가 만난 아이들도 그랬기를 소망합니다.           

-홍정현(Justin Hong)